Abby Sobrato—a fourth generation Santa Clara Valley resident—touched many lives through her tireless philanthropic work. A teacher by training, Abby focused much of her voluntarism serving preschool through university-level institutions, but was especially committed to the science and environmental stewardship education of elementary students. For 15 years, Abby served the Waldon West Foundation, nurturing several campaigns to build and enhance science facilities, and most notably, establishing the state-of-the-art Abby Sobrato Science and Sustainability Center in Saratoga to serve Santa Clara County school children. She never missed a chance to meet with local business or community leaders to advocate for her causes, but as passionate about philanthropy as Abby was, nothing was more important to her than her family. Wife for 23 years to John Michael, and mother of sons John and Jeff, Abby passed away in 2010 after battling pancreatic cancer. She is remembered throughout the community for her strong faith, boundless optimism, and deep dedication to serving others.
Awards and Recognition:
- Santa Clara Panhellenic Council 2010 Athena Award
Past Non-Profit Service:
- President, Walden West Foundation
- Co-founder, Silicon Valley Princess Project
- Member, Santa Clara University Board of Regents
- Member, Santa Clara University Capital Campaign Leadership Council
- Board Member, Bellarmine Mothers’ Guild
- Member, Diocese of San Jose Capital Campaign Steering Committee.
Memorial Grants and Scholarships:
- Abby Sobrato Pancreatic Cancer Action Network AACR Innovation Grant
- Abby Dorsa Sobrato Memorial Scholarship – Alpha Phi Foundation