Position Announcement : Development Associate
Development Associate; Reports to Senior VP of Real Estate Development; Mountain View, CA
The Sobrato Organization is dedicated to building a strong and vibrant Silicon Valley community through business and philanthropic leadership. Founded by John A. Sobrato in 1979 and led by CEO Matt Sonsini and President Rob Hollister, The Sobrato Organization remains a family-owned firm known for integrity and dedication, with no outside investors or joint venture partners. Since 1953, the Sobrato Family has played a pivotal role in shaping Silicon Valley through its real estate development and by giving back to the community through its innovative philanthropy. Its office, and R&D projects comprise approximately 8.1 million square feet, most of which are Class A, mid-rise office buildings. The firm also owns 28 apartment communities totaling approximately 6,500 units along the West Coast. Through Sobrato Philanthropies, the firm has donated more than $379 million in cash and real estate to various communities.
The Development Associate will primarily assist senior management with all aspects of real estate development projects including the creation, design, marketing and construction of development projects, asset management of existing properties and feasibility analysis of potential development projects and value-added acquisitions.
- Provide managerial and financial analysis support to ensure successful project completion.
- Provide support for project design and site development activities.
- Serve as a member of various project development teams as required.
- Assist in the asset management of existing properties leasing, capital projects, tenant relations, and marketing communications.
- Organize and monitor project budgets, including invoice tracking, developing and monitoring entitlement and construction schedules for significant variances.
- Serve as liaison and monitor the flow of information regarding the project among interested parties including ownership, development, leasing, property management, construction, and design consultants.
- Other duties as assigned.
Experience and requirements:
- Prefer (but not required) two or more years related experience in real estate or in a financial analysis role.
- Bachelor’s degree and related experience considered in lieu of post undergraduate studies.
- Preference for ability to analyze real estate from both a strategic and tactical point of view.
- Ability to analyze and interpret various types of data in order to draw conclusions and solve problems.
- Strong financial analysis skills including investment modeling, budgeting, and pro forma analysis.
- Excellent interpersonal skills including open, collaborative approach to decision-making.
- Poise and diplomacy in working with colleagues, tenants, design and construction contractors, and city staff and elected officials.
- Creativity and willingness to take risks.
- Ability to manage a variety of tasks with minimal oversight and within a tight time schedule.
- Strong oral and written skills, both public and private, and ability to articulate and defend a point of view.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office software required, ARGUS or similar real estate modeling software beneficial but not required.
- Work indoors approximately 80%-90% of the time and outdoors 10-20% of the time.
- On occasion, perform physical inspections of properties which may include climbing up and down stairs or accessing restrictive openings.
- Ability to lift up to 25lbs.
- Work outside normal business hours as business needs deem appropriate.
- Salary commensurate with experience.
- Highly competitive benefits package.
- Full-time, exempt position.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The Sobrato Organization is an equal opportunity employer, welcomes a diverse pool of applicants, and makes employment decisions on the basis of merit. TSO's policy prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, marital status, physical disability, mental disability, military service, legally protected medical condition, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws.