Position Announcement: Senior Investment Associate
Status: Full-time, exempt
Reports to: Chief Investment Officer
The Sobrato Organization is a mission-driven enterprise, building a more equitable and sustainable world through business and philanthropic leadership. Founded by John A. Sobrato in 1979 and led by CEO Matt Sonsini, The Sobrato Organization remains a family-owned firm known for integrity and dedication, with no outside investors or joint venture partners. Since 1953, the Sobrato family has played a pivotal role in the growth of Silicon Valley through its commercial and multi-family real estate development efforts. As signatories of the Giving Pledge, the family is also focused on partnering with communities to build a world that is more inclusive, equitable, and sustainable. Guided by the business philosophy and personal values of the Sobrato family, three generations utilize grant-making, advocacy, and impact investing to address unmet needs in the communities they serve. The Sobrato Organization is an equal opportunity employer committed to the values of diversity, equity, and inclusion. We are dedicated to building a team that represents a diversity of backgrounds, cultures, experiences, perspectives, and skills and to creating an environment and inclusion and belonging for all employees regardless of race, skin color, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, marital status, military status, pregnancy, or parenthood. The Sobrato Organization is expanding, and we are interested in growing our staff to include diverse voices with different lived experiences.
The Senior Investment Associate’s primary responsibility will be to assist with the diligence of investment opportunities for Sobrato Capital’s $6 billion portfolio across venture, buyout, opportunistic credit, public equities, and impact investments. This individual will be a critical member of our small investment team with a voice in all of our investment activities. In addition, the Senior Investment Associate will have an outward facing role, including representing the organization at meetings and building a network within the investment community.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Working closely with the Chief Investment Officer in monitoring and analyzing the existing investments in a diversified portfolio across asset classes, including building relationships with general partners, attending annual meetings and analyzing new investment activity.
- Assisting in the preparation of strategic analyses of different asset classes and researching broad investment trends.
- Filtering deal flow for potential portfolio fit, maintaining our dealflow pipeline tracking tool.
- Performing due diligence on prospective investments by evaluating the strategy, analyzing performance, conducting references, and preparing due diligence overview reports.
- Supporting our scaling impact investment work, which spans concessionary and market-rate investments across debt, equity and fund structures.
- Supporting the CIO with the preparation of dashboards and topical updates for our governance board and our investment committees.
Experience and Requirements:
- 3-4 years of private manager selection experience.
- Demonstrated quantitative skills in public and private investment analysis.
- Deep knowledge of Excel and the ability to develop and manipulate complex financial models.
- Proven orientation to detail and excellent organization skills.
- Team-oriented and organized, with a proven ability to manage multiple projects and to deliver results in a collaborative and fast-moving culture.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Intellectually curious self-starter with a strong aptitude for qualitative and quantitative analysis.
- Strong desire to support the work of a mission-driven organization.
- High degree of professionalism, integrity and maturity.
- Salary commensurate with experience.
- Highly competitive benefits package.
- Full-time, exempt position.
For more information, please contact: