Position Announcement: Senior Accounts Payable Accountant
Status: Full-time, exempt
Reports to: Controller
Office Location: 599 Castro St, Mountain View, CA
The Sobrato Organization is a mission-driven enterprise, building a more equitable and sustainable world through business and philanthropic leadership. Founded by John A. Sobrato in 1979 and led by CEO Matt Sonsini, The Sobrato Organization remains a family-owned firm known for integrity and dedication, with no outside investors or joint venture partners.
Since 1953, the Sobrato family has played a pivotal role in the growth of Silicon Valley through its commercial and multi-family real estate development efforts. As signatories of the Giving Pledge, the family is also focused on partnering with communities to build a world that is more inclusive, equitable, and sustainable. Guided by the business philosophy and personal values of the Sobrato family, three generations utilize grantmaking, advocacy, and impact investing to address unmet needs in the communities they serve.
The Senior AP Accountant/ Manager will be primarily responsible for ensuring transactions and projects are completed accurately and on a timely basis in support of the accounting operations for the organization, which include multiple legal entities. The ideal candidate is able to scale up to manage the Accounts Payable function while also being solely responsible for the transaction level processing. The ideal candidate should be able to work independently with little supervision, is a team player, has solid accounting skills, a standard of excellence and a can-do attitude. S/He must be a self-starter, who pays keen attention to detail and has the ability to adapt to changing priorities, all while working quickly and meeting deadlines.
Key Responsibilities include
- Manage all accounts payable functions for four interdepartmental divisions (Sobrato Real Estate, The Sobrato Family Foundation, Sobrato Capital and Sobrato Enterprise Operations)
- Manage the process of timely and accurate AP invoice approval, data entry, reconciliation of accounts, payment of approved invoices and reporting and ensuring adherence to multiple department guidelines and standards
- Review and maintain process for timely and correct calculations and payments of property taxes and insurance for properties in multiple legal entities
- Prepare and analyze job costs for ongoing projects in the organization and generate monthly reports and reimbursement calculations
- Properly account for mortgages and report on related activity
- Identify and implement process improvements to AP process, as needed
- Review AP batches that consist of checks, wires and ACH prior to payments being released
- Manage, update and improve the travel and expense policy, expense reporting process and credit card program using Certify
- Help mitigate employee turnover risk by implementing cross training for the Accounts Payable functions and managing the Junior Accountant with respect to Accounts Payable
- Manage the payables process using Yardi Payscan and Vendor Café for new vendor onboarding and maintenance and invoice processing.
- Provide assistance to vendors and internal company personnel and respond to questions / concerns to meet the various department’s business needs
- Manage the annual 1099 issuance process
- Assist in audits related to AP activities
- Assist with implementations related to enhancing internal controls and automations across the AP process
- Assist with month and year end closings and other related duties as assigned
- Perform general administrative duties including organizing and maintaining accurate files and
- records, scanning of invoices to accounting software etc.
- Assist with other projects as requested
- Five (5) + years of accounts payable experience required; Two (2) + years' experience in a supervisory or managerial role preferred
- Experience with processing and managing high volume AP and in commercial real estate environment preferred
- Excellent working knowledge of Excel and all MS Office applications required. Experience with large ERP system a plus
- Strong analytical, comprehension and problem-solving skills
- Ability to handle multiple projects
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Ability to professionally interact with onsite staff, peers, senior management and third parties
- Strong organizational skills and an independent self-starter with good follow-up
- Salary commensurate with experience.
- Highly competitive benefits package.
- Full-time, exempt position.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The Sobrato Organization is an equal opportunity employer committed to the values of diversity, equity, and inclusion. We are dedicated to building a team that represents a diversity of backgrounds, cultures, experiences, perspectives, and skills and to creating an environment and inclusion and belonging for all employees regardless of race, skin color, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, marital status, military status, pregnancy, or parenthood. The Sobrato Organization is expanding, and we are interested in growing our staff to include diverse voices with different lived experiences.