Position Announcement: Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (ME&L) Analyst
Title: Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (ME&L) Analyst
Business Unit: Sobrato Philanthropies
FSLA Status: Exempt
Work Location: Mountain View, CA
Date Submitted: October 10, 2023
Reporting to the Director of Impact and Learning, this role will be responsible for surfacing, managing, and refreshing a variety of data related to the key collective giving areas of Sobrato Philanthropies. The role will support the rapid scaling of our evaluation and learning work across SP’s Programs including Silicon Valley, English Learner, Climate & Ocean, and other areas. The analyst will serve to add capacity for ME&L functions generally within the organization, as well as provide thought partnership for the Director in their role. Given the evolving nature of ME&L functions at SP, this position will also be assigned special projects by the Director of Impact and Learning to build foundational elements related to different processes and systems.
Responsibilities and Tasks
Job Responsibility 1: Data Management, Analysis, and Research
% of Time: 40%
- Based on specific goals for each collective giving area, surface and prepare a variety of different types of data, both from internal and external sources. This includes but is not limited to internal data collected through Fluxx grant system and externally public data such as the American Community Survey, Social Vulnerability Index, Oil & Gas Watch, etc.
- Carry out data related requests from stakeholders (Board, SP staff, grantees) to support different workstreams and priorities, alongside the Director of Impact and Learning.
- Maintain integrity of collected data and ensure it is organized, documented, and attributed in accordance with established processes.
- Provide analysis and insights related to data collection and management and offer points of view related to the impact of SP’s programmatic work connected to the goals it seeks to achieve.
- Conduct desk research to uncover new data sources that support SP’s ME&L goals and different visualization techniques to view existing data in new forms.
Job Responsibility 2: Data Storytelling and Visualization
% of Time: 40%
- Prepare and format raw data in relation to relevant data visualization techniques.
- Update and maintain SP’s Impact Dashboards as new data becomes available
- Generate, design, and iterate data visualization techniques that speak to the impact of SP’s philanthropic investments (tables, graphs, maps, network diagrams, interactive timelines, etc.).
- Provide perspectives and detailed implications on SP’s monitoring, evaluation, and learning practices based on insights from the program teams and Dashboards.
- Generate ideas to evolve the overall design of SP’s Impact and Learning Dashboards and purpose them for various stakeholder audiences.
Job Responsibility 3: General
% of Time: 20%
- Build and maintain collaborative and positive working relationships with the program and grants management teams.
- Participate in Strategy and Influence and all-staff meetings to coordinate work, report on progress, surface challenges, and offer insights and expertise as needed.
- Support updates and briefings on SP’s ME&L work to Sobrato Philanthropies’ leadership in coordination with the Director.
- All other projects and duties as assigned.
Qualifications (Know How)
Education / Training
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- 4 - 6 years of experience in roles requiring data preparation, data visualization, and data management skills.
- Developed proficiency with the visual analytics platform Tableau. This includes data preparation, data management and visualization design, and dashboard maintenance.
- Developed proficiency with a variety of office suite programs, including Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Proficiency in the Asana project management tool is a plus.
- Familiarity and experience with using a variety of data formats (Excel, Geographic Information Systems (GIS), Java Script Object Notation (JSON), etc.)
- Strong project management skills, a detail-oriented nature, and the ability to adhere to deliverables and timelines.
- The ability to work well independently and within a team, demonstrating a high degree of initiative, flexibility, and collaboration.
- Ability to be proactive and prioritize emergent responsibilities and tasks in a fast-moving and evolving organization.
- Exercises good judgment and comfortable with giving and receiving feedback.
- Sets the highest expectations for personal and organizational standards and achievement.
- Director, Impact & Learning
The annual base salary range for full-time employees for this position is below. Please note that base pay may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience.
- $98,000 - $107,000 USD
- Highly competitive benefits package
- Full-time, exempt position
Equal Employment Opportunity
The Sobrato Organization is an equal-opportunity employer committed to the values of diversity, equity, and inclusion. We are dedicated to building a team that represents a diversity of backgrounds, cultures, experiences, perspectives, and skills and to creating an environment and inclusion and belonging for all employees regardless of race, skin color, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, marital status, military status, pregnancy, or parenthood. The Sobrato Organization is expanding, and we are interested in growing our staff to include diverse voices with different lived experiences.