Position Announcement: Junior Accountant
The Sobrato Organization is dedicated to building a strong and vibrant Silicon Valley community through business and philanthropic leadership. Founded by John A. Sobrato in 1979 and led by CEO Matt Sonsini, The Sobrato Organization remains a family-owned firm known for integrity and dedication, with no outside investors or joint venture partners.
Since 1953, the Sobrato Family has played a pivotal role in shaping Silicon Valley through its real estate development and by giving back to the community through Sobrato Philanthropies. Sobrato Philanthropies creates social change by partnering with communities to build a world that is more inclusive, equitable, and sustainable. Guided by the business philosophy and personal values of the Sobrato family, three generations engage in grantmaking, advocacy, impact investing, and collaborative efforts designed to create impact in the communities they serve.
The Sobrato Organization is an equal opportunity employer committed to the values of diversity, equity, and inclusion. We are dedicated to building a team that represents a diversity of backgrounds, cultures, experiences, perspectives, and skills and to creating an environment and inclusion and belonging for all employees regardless of race, skin color, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, marital status, military status, pregnancy, or parenthood. The Sobrato Organization is expanding, and we are interested in growing our staff to include diverse voices with different lived experiences.
The Junior Accountant will primarily be responsible for maintaining, recording, and managing transactions related to Account Receivable, Accounts Payable and Investments for multiple legal entities. The ideal candidate is a team player who has solid accounting skills, a standard of excellence and a can-do attitude. S/He must be a self-starter who pays keen attention to detail and has the ability to adapt to changing priorities, all while working efficiently to meet deadlines.
This role is based out of Sobrato’s Mountain View, CA headquarters office and the organization is currently working on a hybrid remote/in-office schedule.
Key Responsibilities Include
A/R, Cash Application and Reconciliations
- Process rent payments for Incoming Wires and Manual check deposits for all Commercial/Foundation tenants.
- Take charge of all Cash Applications, includes coding, research, posting of receipts.
- Work closely with the Property Management to ensure that receivables reconcile with the data at any given time
- Assist with accounting projects such as research of past rent payments and rents received
- Perform month end bank reconciliations for all bank accounts
- Other projects as needed.
A/P and General
- Invoice Management
- Maintain Utility coding spreadsheet and process Utility invoices for payment
- Invoice upload and data entry into accounting system
- Transferring invoices to correct personnel in accounting system
- Assist and act as back up for Senior A/P accountant including preparing and analyzing job costs and processing job cost payments.
- Perform general administrative duties including organize and maintain accurate files and records
- Maintain and update records for Vendors in Vendor Café.
- Other duties and Ad Hoc projects as assigned
- Monitor emails from investments to identify calls and distributions. Sign into various investor portals to pull notices and log into planning spreadsheet.
- Record cash activity in Yardi for all Incoming/Outgoing wires for Investments.
- Other Ad hoc projects as required.
Experience and Requirements
- A Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance with 1-3 years of related experience
- Previous accounting experience in commercial real estate environment is desirable
- Excellent working knowledge of Excel and all MS Office applications required
- Experience with large ERP system a plus.
- Strong analytical, comprehension and problem-solving skills
- Ability to handle multiple projects
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Ability to professionally interact with onsite staff, peers, senior management and third parties
- Strong organizational skills and an independent self-starter with good follow-up
- Overtime may be required.
- Salary commensurate with experience
- Highly competitive benefits package
- Full-time, non-exempt position
What We Offer
The Sobrato Organization promotes equitable and rewarding compensation for its team. Salary is commensurate with experience, plus a competitive benefits package with perks including medical, dental and vision coverage; life insurance; 401(k) plan with generous employer match; paid time off; paid time off and holidays; access to professional development resources; matching gift contributions; an Employee Assistance Program (EAP); cell phone reimbursement; public transportation passes; dedicated parking; stocked kitchen snacks and beverages; and many employee events and lunches!
Beyond competitive salaries, benefits and perks, joining The Sobrato Organization is an opportunity to build upon the Sobrato family legacy of strong values, deep commitment and large-scale community impact. The Sobrato Organization is dynamic, growing, encourages collaboration and continuous learning, and is committed to fostering a culture of inclusion. Our team has the opportunity to contribute immediately taking on meaningful work alongside caring, talented colleagues.