Cupertino, CA 95014
Position Announcement : Director of Financial Planning and Analysis
The Sobrato Organization is dedicated to building a strong and vibrant Silicon Valley community through business and philanthropic leadership. Founded by John A. Sobrato in 1979 and led by CEO Matt Sonsini, President of Real Estate Rob Hollister, and CFO Bill Hoffenberg, The Sobrato Organization remains a family-owned firm known for integrity and dedication, with no outside investors or joint venture partners. Since 1953, the Sobrato Family has played a pivotal role in shaping Silicon Valley through its real estate development and by giving back to the community through its innovative philanthropy. Its office, and R&D projects comprise approximately 7.9 million square feet, most of which are Class A, mid-rise office buildings, as well as 29 apartment communities totaling approximately 6,700 units along the West Coast, and a public and private equity portfolio of $2.9 billion. Through Sobrato Philanthropies, the firm has donated more than $379 million in cash and real estate to the Silicon Valley community.
The Director of Financial Planning and Analysis (FP&A) will be an integral part of the Shared Services team and report to the CFO. The Director of FP&A’s responsibilities include the preparation of internal financial reports and financial analysis, and providing ad hoc analysis for the organization.
- Collaborate with accounting, property management, and the foundation to generate reports for senior management
- Manage the process of creating 5- and 10-year cash flow forecasts
- Help drive key insights and analytics
- Execute value-added analysis and provide decision support for special projects and initiatives
- Assist in developing finance and business presentations, analysis and related supporting materials, including for governance meetings and for lender/financing proposals
- Assist with the preparation of annual budgets for the commercial, multifamily, and corporate operations
- Supervise one or more analysts
- Makes confident, fact-based decisions
- Solid understanding of accounting and finance principles
- Superior analytical skills
- Superior Excel and skills
- Organized, flexible and easily adaptable to changing conditions
- High ownership of work product and dedication and commitment to driving results
- Approaches problems from different perspectives in order to suggest and implement solutions
- Forecasts issues in advance in order to understand and anticipate potential impacts; both internally and externally
- Facilitates communication between team members to ensure efforts are aligned
- Takes accountability for delivering on commitments
- Ability to work well in high pressure situations in order to meet deadlines
- Ability to solve complex problems
- Ability to design and generate financial reports that effectively and efficiently communicate the desired information
- Adept at using logic and reasoning to work through problems and analyze information
Experience and Requirements:
- 10 years of experience in a corporate environment
- Experience in nonprofits a plus
- Experience with Yardi a plus
- Experience in real estate a plus
- Demonstrated knowledge of reporting and financial analysis
- Effective oral and written communication and customer service skills
- Skilled in effectively compiling, filing, retrieving, maintaining, researching, coordinating and organizing information.
- Ability to prioritize work load and to multi-task independently in a fast-paced team environment with numerous simultaneous priorities
- Ability to work in a team environment and to assist with the development of junior staff members
- Experience with financial planning and analysis functions, including annual budget, capital budgeting, long-term strategic planning, variance analysis, and resource allocation processes
- Demonstrated success in financial modeling and analysis
- Strong project management skills
- Proficient with computer software programs including an accounting platform such as Yardi, and MS Office suite (Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint).
- Bachelor’s degree in related field
Perform all other duties and projects as required.
- Salary commensurate with experience
- Highly competitive benefits package
- Full-time, exempt position
Equal Employment Opportunity
The Sobrato Organization is an equal opportunity employer, welcomes a diverse pool of applicants, and makes employment decisions on the basis of merit. TSO's policy prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, marital status, physical disability, mental disability, military service, legally protected medical condition, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws.